In the early 19th and 20th centuries the village was inhabited mainly by small freeholders, often engaged in village crafts or mining and quarrying. Nail making was a trade carried on throughout the 19th century, employing six men in 1851 – in the same year there was also a tannery.
Clearwell today (including the outlying areas) has 418 registered electors. There are three hotels – The Wyndham Arms, The Tudor Farmhouse and The Lambsquay as well as two public houses – The Butchers Arms and The Lamb. Regrettably there are no retail facilities; the last one, the Post Office, having closed in 2006.
The recreation ground was refurbished in 2012 with new play equipment, entrance and gates courtesy of a £49340 grant from the National Lottery. The land is owned by the Parish Council as Custodian Trustee and managed by the Clearwell Recreation Ground Management Committee.